Lilly was born on 28 July 1927 in Budapest, Hungary, and lived with her parents and younger brother Fredi. Her early childhood years were spent in North Africa due to her father’s work commitments. In 1932 her family moved to Wansdorf, Sudetenland. By 1936 Lilly’s family life began to destabilise and she spent a year with her paternal grandmother in Pozony, Bratislava and subsequently went to boarding school in Hungary. In 1939 her father went to Brussels and the rest of the family moved into an apartment in Budapest. Lilly went to school until she was 14 but due to increasing restrictions imposed on Jews she was forced to leave school and began working in a factory which was predominantly staffed by Jews. By the summer of 1943 Lilly and her brother were ostensibly orphans as they were unsure of their father’s whereabouts (later they learned that he perished in Auschwitz in 1942) and her mother had died of heart complications in 1943. Lilly’s first encounter with the impending Nazi occupation began in late 1943 when Lilly and her brother spent a number of weeks in a local synagogue which was being used as a holding center of “stateless” individuals. After escaping deportation they returned to the apartment where her aunt, maternal grandmother and a young cousin remained. By March 1944 the Nazis had occupied Budapest. She was taken for a couple of weeks to a labour camp just outside the city soon after occupation. In September 1944 Lilly and her aunt were taken on a march to an unknown destination. After marching for five days she noticed that her aunt had escaped and through a series of circumstances Lilly managed to pass herself off as younger than 16 and was able to return to Budapest. Thanks to Raoul Wallenberg, Lilly lived in a Swedish protect house until liberation by the Russians on 18 January 1945. After liberation Lilly was reunited with her aunt, grandmother and cousin. She searched for Fredi who had remained in the Ghetto but he had not survived the final days of the war. On return to the Ghetto Lilly was the translator to Raoul Wallenberg. Lilly arrived in Sydney in 1947 with her first husband. Her aunt, grandmother and cousin had also immigrated to Sydney. Lilly divorced and remarried, and had two sons Jerry and Ronald. Jerry married Holly and they have two boys, Austin and Sam and live in New York.